- The Tarot Spread
- There are just as many Spreads as there are
Tarot decks and psychic readers. There are some basics that you should
find in every Tarot book. But it's important to remember the style of
the spread is entirely up to the reader. Try different layouts to keep
yourself interested. If you get bored, you're likely to concentrate
less on your cards and it maybe difficult to get a clear message.
- Before you layout a spread it's important for
you to give each card an intent. In other
words, each card represents an aspect or time, thus the intent of the
card in the spread has a specific meaning. In a traditional 3 card
spread, the first card is usually for Past actions, the 2nd for Present
events and the 3rd for Future consequences. So when you "make-up" your
own spread, know the intent of each card before it's chosen and placed
on the table.
- How to Read a Spread
- Shuffle the deck several times. The client (if
the reading is for yourself, you are the client) should focus on one
question, situation or event. Before any cards are drawn from the deck,
you should have an idea of what you're going to layout and the intent
being given to each card. Again, by intent I mean, the purpose of each
card in the spread.
- Let me give an example;
My client has chosen a past, present and future spread. As I select the
cards from the deck and lay them on the table, I am projecting the
purpose of the card on the card. I lay down the first card and say (out
loud or to myself) "This is the Past" and so on until all 3 cards are
on the table.
- Common Spreads
- The following are examples of the most common
spreads used in divination.
- Daily Spread
The Daily spread can be used to layout your actions for the start of a
day, you can gain insights or warnings before the day begins. Perhaps
you should wear a business suite today for an unexpected visit from the
boss. Or you can use this spread at the end of a day to review/explain
any events that might have occurred. Perhaps you require clarification
or additional information about an event that took place.
This spread indicates the situation through the first card and any
blockage that may exist through the second card. If the two cards are
of the same suite, then the blockage maybe easily overcome.
The Past, Present and
This spread requires 3 cards, laid out from left to right. Typically a
specific question is being addressed by this spread. The Past explains
the situation and how it came to be. The Present explains the current
status of the situation and any blockages that may exist. The Future
explains any consequences and/or any additional influences that may
play a part in the situation.
- Celtic Cross
This is one of the most famous spreads and can be one of the most
difficult to read. Each card in this spread has a specific intent which
builds on the card before it. Connolly give a pictorial example of this
spread and how it should be laid out (because this document is designed
for generic email transmissions, this type of graphical examples is not
| 1. The
|| the present
position of the situation.
| 2. The Crossing:
influences or obstacles.
| 3. The
influences and the relationship of the questioner to the issue.
| 4. The Goal:
|| the desired
outcome of the issue.
| 5. The Past:
|| influences in
the recent or distant past which are still in operation.
| 6. The Future:
|| influences that will come into manifestation.
| 7. The Attitude:
|| present position and attitude of the questioner.
| 8. The
|| influences from nearby energies or other people.
| 9. The Feelings:
|| inner hopes, feelings or anxieties not expressed
by the questioner.
|| the final result and culmination of the issue.
- Additional Spreads
- The Faery Ring
- This spread is used to discover your inner
strengths and weaknesses. What you can celebrate as you dance through
the Faery circle and what you need to work on once you leave the Faery
spread utilizes 12 cards placed in a circle in 2 group layouts.
- The first 6 cards define your strengths:
- 1. Your greatest spiritual strength
- 2. Your most enterprising characteristics
- 3. Your greatest emotional strength
- 4. Your instinctive reaction to problems
- 5. Your greatest financial/resource ability
- 6. Your favorite personality trait
- Once you have completed reading the first 6
cards, lay out the second 6 cards on top of the first set. This next
group defines your weaknesses:
- 1. Your greatest spiritual challenge
- 2. Your problematic attitude toward work
- 3. Your biggest emotional challenge
- 4. Your biggest fear when facing problems
- 5. Your greatest financial/resource weakness
- 6. Your least favorite personality trait
- The Lunar Spread
- The Moon presides over movement and cycle of
growth. This spread can be used to explore the cycle of a situation,
from the unknown, to your inner hidden knowledge, what you need to
learn and how to create a positive outcome.
- 1. The Dark side of the moon. Represents your
unconscious feelings surrounding the issue and your fears or anxieties
- 2. The Light side of the moon. Provides insight
into your conscious feelings surrounding the issue and your hopes or
desires about it.
- 3. The Waning Moon. This card relates to the
waning influences of the situation. What occurs in the beginning stages
and how they impact the situation.
- 4. The Full Moon. How the influences of growth
impact this situation as things begin to be put into action and evolve.
- 5. The Waning Moon. This relates to the
influences of manifestation, what can be learned or achieved as action
moves the issue into reality.
- 6. The New Moon. Associated with death or
transition, this represents the outcome of an issue, what needs to be
learned in order to ensure a positive event.
- The Fork In The Road
- Life is filled with choices that cause us to
choose a path to take. When
faced with a decision, this spread gives insight into the choices and
where they may lead.
- 1. Defines where you are right now and what you
need to know about the overall situation.
- 2. The benefits of chosen path A.
- 3. The challenges of chosen path A.
- 4. The probable outcome of chosen path A.
- 5. The benefits of chosen path B.
- 6. The challenges of chosen path B.
- 7. The probable outcome of chosen path B.
- The Tree of Life Spread
spread is designed to give insight into the aspects of life, family,
work, finances and love. It reviews the current energy patterns and how
they are likely to manifest in the future. This allows an individual to
work on changing the patterns they don't like and working to support
the patterns they do like.
- 1. Family: overview of current family
situations and dynamics.
- 2. Family patterns: current family patterns and
how they are likely to manifest in the future.
- 3. Work: overview of current work situations
- 4. Work patterns: current work patterns and how
they are likely to manifest in the future.
- 5. Finances: overview of current financial
- 6. Finance patterns: current financial patterns
and how they are likely to manifest in the future.
- 7. Love: overview of current situations and
dynamics dealing with love relationships.
- 8. Love patterns: current love patterns and how
they are likely to manifest in the future.
- 9. Spirit: overview of the spirit and current
progression of life's mission.
- 10. Spirit patterns: current patterns of the
soul's evolution and how they are likely to manifest in the future.
- The Growing Oak
how your dreams can grow. This spread is used to gain insight and pull
energy toward your dreams to help them manifest. Whither your dream is
about love, security, family, work or any goal you wish to achieve,
this spread can help you work on it's manifestation.
- 1. The Acorn: This is where you are rooted now.
- 2. The Soil: What you need to get started
- 3. The Trunk What will help you be strong and
manifest your dream/goal
- 4. The Tree Knot: What challenges might you
face and how to overcome them
- 5. Your Oak: Insight into your dream or goal
- 6. The Water: What is needed to nurture and
grow this dream or goal
- 7. The Sunshine: What you should know about the
dream or goal to help it grow
- 8. The Branches: What assets/knowledge from the
past can give you insight and strength to make your dream or goal
- 9. The Leaves: What unexpected gifts can come
from the work and manifestation of our dream or goal.
- The Pentagram
spread can be used to gain insight into the 5 aspects of life, Earth -
the physical world, Air - the mental world, Fire -the world of
intuition, Water - the emotional world and Spirit - the subconscious
world. It can provide guidance in situation where you feel out of
balance, or lost and need to rise up into the Divine Consciousness to
gain a new perspective.
- 1. Spirit - What you need to learn from this
situation, why it has occurred from a spiritual perspective.
- 2. Fire - How your inner voice and intuition
can help or hinder your experience in the situation at hand.
- 3. Water - How your emotions are helping or
hindering the situation and it's outcome.
- 4. Air - How your mental thinking is affecting
the situation. What is real and what is imagined.
- 5. Earth - How your physical actions are
affecting the situation, ad how the situation is affecting your
- 6. The Self -
- Some readers of this spread like to place a
card in the center to represent the self. Where the spirit is the above
view, the self is the below view. Others use this center card as an
overall view or perspective putting everything together to gain insight
to the outcome of the situation.
- The 7 Aspects Spread
- This spread is for those who don't know what to
ask. It is designed to cover the whole being of an individual, the
Mind/Body and Spirit. Where you are today and what lays ahead that you
may need to change or plan for.
- 1. The Body: the physical health of the
- 2. Clarifying the Body: what may need to be
address to maintain physical health.
- 3. The Mind: an overview of how the person
thinks at this time.
- 4. Clarifying the Mind: reviews the thought
patterns currently used that can support or cause harm to the
- 5. The Spirit: the current status of the
- 6. Clarifying the Spirit: what may need to be
address to advance the soul and clear karmic issues.
- 7. Current Patterns: this is an overview of how
current situations are forming in the individuals future. What the
potential outcomes are and what may need to be addressed or planned
- Roses have long been associated with love and
romance. This petal spread is used to attract love into your life. It
helps you gain insight into what you need to change within or about how
you think of yourself, what you may need to give up to be ready for
love, what you may need to heal within yourself and how to be open for
love and romance in general.
- 1. This is how you think of yourself. (If you
don't love you, how is someone going to see what you have to love.
- 2. This is what you need to learn, what maybe
holding you back.
- 3. This is how the past is affecting your path
- 4. This is an issue you need to address, what
- 5. This is what you can do mentally and
emotionally to be open for love.
- 6. This is what you can do physically to be
ready when love arrives.
- The Daisy Circle
- The Love Me, Love Me Not spread is used to give
insight into special relationships. Should you pursue your interest, or
let it go for the better choice that's out there waiting for you. How
does this relationship affect your future and spiritual evolution.
- 1. How you see this relationship
- 2. The best part of this relationship
- 3. Your hopes for this relationship
- 4. How the past is affecting this relationship
- 5. The potential aspects of this relationship
- 6. The challenges facing this relationship
- 7. Your weaknesses in this relationship
- 8. The potential outcome of this relationship
- 9. The spiritual impact to you from this
- The Spirit
the path of spirit also means taking time to look within, examining
your connection with the Divine force in your life and how your past
incarnations influence your path today.
only the Major Arcana, this reading focuses on your spiritual path. A 7
spread designed to address how karmic deeds of past lives are being
in this incarnation. What spiritual lessons are being experienced, and
these are affecting your spiritual mission for this lifetime. This
designed specifically for spiritual enlightenment and growth.
- 1. The Past Talents - What talents have you
brought from past lives to this one.
- 2. The Past Trauma - What issues have you
brought from past lives to this one.
- 3. The Past Karma - What karmic issues have you
brought to work on.
- 4. The Present Talents - How your talents help
your spiritual growth today
- 5. The Present Spiritual Lessons - What
spiritual lessons are you working on today
- 6. The Present Mission - How are you
progressing on your spiritual mission
- 7. The Divine Self - What does your overall
higher spirit say about your path toward enlightenment
- The Celtic Spirit Circle
is a circle of events, from birth, childhood, adulthood, parentage, old
age, death and spirit. These 6 phases of the circle of life are held
deeply in many aspects of Celtic belief and understanding. The Celtic
Circle can be used to gain insight into the phases of a persons life,
or a situation that person is going through. It emphasizes the
underlying spiritual perspective of each phase and how that energy is
affecting the person now.
- 1. Defines the person's spirit at this time and
- 2. Birth: How your innocence impacts your life
or this situation. Can also be what is real and what is not.
- 3. Childhood: How your intuition impacts your
life or this situation.
- 4. Adulthood: How your physical actions impact
- 5. Conscious Mind: How your inner conscious
thoughts impact your life/situation. (What you express to the world)
- 6. Parentage: How the past created and impacts
- 7. Sub-Conscious Mind: How your inner
subconscious thoughts impact your life/situation. (What you tell
yourself, but keep from the world).
- 8. Old Age: How you can use your talents and
experiences to aid your life/situation.
- 9. Divine Conscious Mind: What is the spiritual
mission of this life/situation. What do you need to learn. (What your
soul needs to accomplish to advance your spirit).
- 10. Death: What is the potential transition of
this situation from physical experience to spiritual evolution.
11 Spirit: What is the Divine perspective of this life/situation.
- The Moonlit Path
- Sometimes we walk right into situations that
create fear or trepidation in our lives. It can be like walking upon an
unfamiliar path in the dark. We're not sure where things are, our eyes
play tricks on us and we're not
sure if things are really what they seem to be. This spread helps to
gain insight into situations that don't make sense and give us feelings
of fear and anxiety. With this knowledge we can better understand the
path in the moonlight and find our way safely through the dark.
- 1. Where you are right now and you are
approaching this situation
- 2. What aspects of your fear are real
- 3. What aspects of your fear are imagined
- 4. How is your past affecting your perspective
of this situation
- 5. How are others around you impeding your
ability to face this situation
- 6. How are others around you helping you to
face and overcome this situation
- 7. What lessons lie on this path and how can
you learn them to help future similar situations
- 8.What you need to heal within to overcome the
fear you face in this situation
- The Astrological Spread
- There are bigger spreads that utilize more
cards. The Gypsy spread for instance utilizes all the cards in a 78
card deck. The Astrological Spread is a very complex spread but it can
provide a great deal of information an insight to a variety of complex
situations in your life. The idea behind this spread is that the
12 houses are a matrix that flows through every aspect of the self, the
personality, consciousness, relationships and ego. It is best used when
a question is not asked and general insight into one's self and life
- 1. The Significator: the present position of
- 2. The Crossing: existing influences or
- 3. The First house of Personality. The insights
of the mind, health, physical condition and personality.
- 4. The essence of the personality.
- 5. The Second house of the Physical World. The
insights of Financial issues, losses and gains, property and
- 6. The Third house of Self Expression and
Siblings. The insights of communication and expression, verbal,
writing, art etc.
- 7. The Fourth house of Home and Family. The
insights of deep emotions, parents, home and family.
- 8. The essence of the Unconsciousness
- 9. The Fifth house of Self-consciousness and
Creativity. How inner thoughts impact the souls ability to create and
- 10. The Sixth house of Work. The insights of
fulfillment, expression, self worth and ability.
- 11. The Seventh house of Relationships. The
insights of partnerships and detractors. How your relationships impact
your overall life and spiritual mission.
- 12. The essence of Relationship.
- 13. The Eighth house of Separation and
Metaphysical. The insights of how interactions with others promote or
detract from the spiritual mission or path of the individual.
- 14. The Ninth house of Higher mind and
spiritual Aspirations. The insights of how our experiences through
interaction, travel, spirituality, the world and it's events impact our
view of ourselves and the Divine world around us.
- 15. The Tenth house of Conscious Aspirations
and Profession. The insights of our own inner view of ourselves impact
our dreams, goals and profession.
- 16. The essence of Ego Consciousness.
- 17. The Eleventh house of Plans. The insights
of how we utilize our assets to achieve goals and dreams. The
communication, friendships, profession and interactions with others and
the world around us are all assets that can be used to create or deter
our ability to manifest.
- 18. The Twelfth house of Psychic knowledge and
experience. How you use your inner mind, voice and talk to impact your
life and carry you forward, or how you ignore your instincts and
detract from your ability to create, grow and attain knowledge and
- Additional Reading
- What They Are and How To Use Them
Simple Process For Reading The Tarot
- Sources: 1,
o58, o59, o60, o61
- Created: 08.07.2010